What Does a Direct Support Professional Do?
What does a Direct Support Professional do?
The individuals who reside at the CILA homes have developmental disabilities and need assistance with a variety of daily living activities. Direct Support Professionals (DSPs) are the team members who support them with these activities. All CILA homes are staffed 24 hours a day with a dedicated team of DSPs.
Direct Support Professional responsibilities include:
- Assist with daily task such as personal care, cooking and eating meals, personal hygiene and grooming, cleaning inside their home, and restroom assistance
- Assures the safety & health of individuals is maintained at all times
- Provide transportation to and from day training programs, employment, appointments, and group activities
- Administer medications
- Help individuals reach any personal goals that are listed in their Individual Service Plans
- Empowers individuals to make their own decisions while providing guidance as needed
Characteristics of a DSP
A Direct Support Professional (DSP) is someone who wants to encourage and facilitate independence and choice for the individuals. My Life My Home implements person-centered planning, where the individual is making their own choices and preferences in their life, just as anyone else would.
DSPs should regard the individuals we support as equals and treat them as adults. My Life My Home uses Person-First Language which addresses individuals in a respectful manner and does not use institutional language, such as Feeders, Diapers, Bibs and Behaviors.
DSPs should enjoy interacting with the people we support. The team at My Life My Home comes from an array of backgrounds, including the Human Services field. Enjoying helping others and working with individuals with developmental disabilities is key!
DSPs Must be able to move intermittently throughout the day.
- Must function independently, have personal integrity, have flexibility, and the ability to work effectively with coworkers.
Qualifications to become a DSP
My Life My Home offers paid training for all Direct Support Professionals upon hire. We welcome candidates who have previous DSP experience or are new to the human services field. We want you to feel comfortable with your role and responsibilities and provide training, including new hire orientation.
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- A High school diploma or equivalent (GED) is preferred.
- DSP Certification not required upon hire, but must be able to obtain DSP certification by the State of Illinois We help you with this process and provide paid training to become certified.
If you find the details about Direct Support Professionals interesting, we invite you apply to join our team! To see a current list of openings and for our online application, please go to: https://mylifemyhome.mitcawm.com/jobs/